1. Who developed the idea of Crop Rotation?
a) Potato Peterson
b) Turnip Townsend
c) Cabbage Carlson
d) Swede Svenson
Explanation: Viscount Charles 'Turnip' Townsend developed this revolutionary concept of crop rotation.
2. Who made corn flakes at first?
Explanation: Will Keith Kellogg discovered the corn flake, by mistake, in 1906. They were the result of an experiment which went wrong.
3. William Frederick is credited with the invention of the modern frisbee in the mid 1950's. In 1957 the Wham-O Company bought his idea and the rest is history. They named the toy after William Frisbie who was a ________
a) Pie maker
b) Owner of a pizza parlor
c) Student at Yale
d) Ceramic plate designer
Explanation: William Frederick is credited with the invention of the modern frisbee in the mid 1950's. In 1957 the Wham-O Company bought his idea and the rest is history. They named the toy after William Frisbie who was a pie maker.
4. Who came up with the idea for instant mashed potato?
a) S. Tuberosum
b) W. Raleigh
c) E. Asselbergs
d) K. Edwards
Explanation: Instant mash was invented by Edward A Asselbergs, a Canadian, in 1962. The mash is actually dehydrated potato flakes.
5. Who invented Dynamite?
a) Sir Alexander Graham Bell
b) Benjamin Franklin
c) Thomas Alva Edison
d) Alfred B. Nobel
Explanation: Alfred B. Nobel invented dynamite.
6. When was the first elevator built?
Explanation: The first elevator was built in the palace of King Louis XV in 1743. It only traveled up one floor, and was hand powered by men inside the chimney.
7. What charge card, developed in 1950, was the first to be accepted nationally in the US?
d) Diner's Club
Explanation: The card was invented by Frank McNamara and Ralph Schneider.
8. What Enrico Fermi invented?
a) X ray machine
d) Nuclear reactor
Explanation: Enrico Fermi ( 29 September 1901 – 28 November 1954) was an Italian (later naturalized American) physicist and the creator of the world's first nuclear reactor, the Chicago Pile-1.
9. Which of the following was first patented by an Australian in 1889?
a) Electric Drill
b) Electric Shaver
c) Electric Fence
d) Electric Heater
Explanation: The Electric Drill was the invention of Arthur James Arnot. On 20 August 1889 he patented his design while working for the Union Electric Company in Melbourne. His original design was meant primarily for drilling rock to find coal.
10. Who among the following invented the small pox vaccine?
a) Robert Koch
b) Edward Jenner
c) Robert Hooke
d) Louis Pasteur
Explanation: The smallpox vaccine, introduced by Edward Jenner in 1796, was the first successful vaccine to be developed. He observed that milkmaids who previously had caught cowpox did not catch smallpox and showed that inoculated vaccinia protected against inoculated variola virus.