1. A man walks 1 km to East and then he turns to South and walks 5 km. Again he turns to East and walks 2 km. After this he turns to North and walks 9 km. Now, how far is he from his starting point?
a) 3 km
b) 4 km
c) 5 km
d) 7 km
Explanation: Man's Movement :
The last position of the man is P and OEP is a Right angled triangle in which
EP = 3 km and OE = 4 km
OP = √(32 +42)
OP = √25
OP = 5 km
2. I walk 30 metres in North-West direction from my house and then 30 metres in South-west direction. After this I walk 30 metres in South-East direction. Now, I turn to my house, in what direction am I going?
Explanation: Movements are as follows :
Now, I am going in North-East Direction.
3. A man faces towards north. Turning to his right, he walks 25 metes. He then turns to his left and walks 30 metres. Next, he moves 25 metres to his right. He then turns to his right again and walks 55 metres. Finally, he turns to the right and moves 40 metres. In which direction is he from his starting point ?
Explanation: Man's Movement :
Finally he is towards the South-East from his starting Point.
4. If South-East becomes North and South becomes North-East and all the rest directions are changed in the same manner, the what will be the direction for West ?
Explanation: If South-east becomes North and North East becomes West, therefore, the whole figure moves through 1350. Hence, West will be South-East.
See, Actual figure is rotating 1350 anticlockwise.
So, When West will be rotated by same degree anticlockwise. It will hold the place of south-East.
5. If Rahim moves 20 metres in East direction and then turns to his left and then moves 15 metres and then he turns to his right and moves 25 metres. After this he turns to his right and moves 15 metres. Now, how far is he from starting point ?
a) 40 m
b) 50 m
c) 25 m
d) 45 m
Explanation: Rahim's Movement
Therefore, the distance of Rahim from his starting point,
= 20 + 25
= 45 meters
6. Kunal walks 10 km towards north. From there, he walks 6 km towards South. Then he walks 3 km towards east. How far and in which direction is he with reference to his starting point?
a) 5 km, West
b) 5 km, North-East
c) 7 km, East
d) 7 km, south-East
From the figure, we get OC which is the required distance,
OC = √(OC2 + BC2)
OC = √(42 + 32)
Oc = 5 km (North-East)
7. Rohan walks a distance of 3 km towards north, then turns to his left and walks 2 km. He again turns left and walks for 3 km. At this point he turns to his left and walks for 3 km. How many kilometres is he from the starting point?
a) 1 km
b) 2 km
c) 3 km
d) 4 km
From figure, it is clear that OD is required distance which is 1 km.
8. One morning Udai and Vishal were talking to each other face to face at a crossing. If Vishal's shadow was exactly to the left of Udai, which direction was Udai facing?
9. Y is in the East of X which is in the North of Z. If P is in the South of Z, then in which direction of Y, is P?
d) None of these
P is in South-West of Y.
10. If South-East becomes North, North-East becomes West and so on. What will West become?
It is clear from the diagrams that new name of West will become South-East.