1. The highest mountain peak in India is :
b) Mount Everest
c) Mt. K2
d) Nanda Devi
2. Which one of the following is the correct sequence of the age of formation-from the
youngest to the oldest-of the given mountain ranges?
a) Himalayas, Vindhyas, Western Ghats, Deccan Traps
b) Deccan Traps, Western Ghats, Vindhyas, Himalayas
c) Himalayas, Western Ghats, Vindhayas, Deccan Traps
d) Vindhyas, Himalayas, Deccan Traps, Western Ghats
3. Arakan Yoma is the extension of the Himalayas located in :
4. The transport route connecting the Kashmir from Leh crosses the high mountain ranges
a) Pir Panjal pass
b) Karakoram pass
c) Banihal pass
d) Zoji La pass
5. Which one of the following mountains is not the part of Eastern Ghats?
a) Sheravoy hills
b) Javadi hills
c) Nallamala hills
d) Elamalai hills
6. Kodaikanal, the famous hill-station of South India, is situated on :
a) Palni hills
b) Anaimalai mountain
c) Nilgiri mountain
d) Cardamon hills
7. Which one of the following statements is NOT correct?
a) Black cotton soil of north-west India was formed by the weathering of basaltic lava rocks
b) Sedimentary rocks are distinguished from other types of rocks by the presence of distinct layers
c) Granite has large crystals of quartz, feldspar and mica in it
d) A metamorphic rock is softer and less compact than its original type
8. Which of the following relates to the formation of the Himalayas?
a) Folding of the earth's crust
b) Accumulation of loess deposits
c) Folding of the geosyncline
d) Faulting of the earth's crust
9. Which one of the following is most prone to earthquakes?
a) Coastal plains
b) Old shields
d) Young folded mountains
10. The correct sequence of the different sections of the Himalayas in terms of their
stretch (in kilometre) in the descending order is :
a) Punjab Him., Kumaon Him., Nepal Him., Assam Him
b) Nepal Him., Assam Him., Punjab Him., Kumaon Him.
c) Kumaon, Hlm., Nepal Him., Assam Him., Punjab Him
d) Nepal Him., Assam Him., Kumaon Him., Punjab Him