Wireless & Mobile Communications Questions and Answers Part-3

1. Which of the following is not a characteristic of cellular telephone system?
a) Accommodate a large number of users
b) Large geographic area
c) Limited frequency spectrum
d) Large frequency spectrum

Answer: d
Explanation: Cellular systems accommodate a large number of users within a limited frequency spectrum over a large geographic area.

2. What is the responsibility of MSC in cellular telephone system?
a) Connection of mobile to base stations
b) Connection of mobile to PSTN
c) Connection of base station to PSTN
d) Connection of base station to MSC

Answer: b
Explanation: Mobile Switching Center (MSC) is responsible for connecting all mobiles to the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) in a cellular system.

3. Who has the responsibility of billing and system maintenance function in cellular system?
a) Base Station
c) MSC
d) Mobile system

Answer: c
Explanation: Mobile switching center (MSC) accommodates 100,000 subscribers and 5,000 simultaneous conversations at a time and handles all billing and system maintenance functions.

4. Which two channels are responsible for initiating mobile calls?
a) FVC and FCC
b) FVC and RVC
c) FCC and RCC
d) FCC and RVC

Answer: c
Explanation: FCC (Forward Control Channel) and RCC (Reverse Control Channel) are control channels responsible for initiating mobile calls.

5. What is the function of FVC (Forward Voice Channel)?
a) Voice transmission from base station to mobiles
b) Voice transmission from mobile to base station
c) Initiating mobile calls
d) Broadcast all traffic request for all mobile

Answer: a
Explanation: FVC (Forward Voice Channel) and RVC (Reverse Voice Channel) are responsible for voice transmission. FVC is used for voice transmission from base station to mobile and RVC is used for voice transmission from mobile to base station.

6. Of the total channels present in the cellular system, what is the percentage of voice and control channels?
a) 95% voice channels, 5% control channels
b) 5% voice channels, 95% control channels
c) 50% voice channels, 50% control channels
d) 25% voice channels, 75% control channels

Answer: a
Explanation: In each cellular system, control channels are 5% of the total channels available and remaining 95% are dedicated to voice and data traffic.

7. What is MIN?
a) Paging message
b) Subscriber’s telephone number
c) Traffic request number
d) Mobile Internet

Answer: b
Explanation: MIN (Mobile Identification Number) is a 10 digit unique number which represents the telephone number of subscriber.

8. What is transmitted along with the call initiation request during the origin of call by a mobile?
a) MIN
b) ESN
c) ESN and SCM
d) MIN, ESN and SCM

Answer: d
Explanation: When a mobile originates the call, it sends the MIN (mobile identification number), ESN (electronic serial number) and SCM (station class mark) along with the call initiation request.

9. Why the size of the cell is kept small in cellular network?
a) Increased size of base station electronics
b) Decrease capacity
c) Increase capacity
d) Slow process of handoffs

Answer: c
Explanation: The size of the cells in cellular network is kept small because of the need of high capacity in areas with high user density and reduced size and cost of base station electronics.

10. What is handoff?
a) Switching technique
b) Forward channel
c) Roamer
d) Guard channe

Answer: a
Explanation: Handoff is a switching technique which refers to the process of transferring an active call or data session from one cell in a cellular network to another.